Friday, July 31, 2009

The best blueberry pie EVER. Heck, the best summertime desert ever!

The other day, I went blueberry picking. I found this great place in Lynden, about 12 miles from my house. I 40 minutes or so, a friend and I picked 14 pounds of berries. And you can't beat the price at 1.50 a pound (at least until my three blueberry plants grow up.) So, what did I do with this bounty? A bunch went with the friend (I kept most, cause I paid for it) and most went into the freezer to be turned into jam when the weather turns sane again (95+ for the last three days or so. Its 'only' supposed to get to 85 today.) A large bowl is in my fridge for fresh eating.

But I made two of Kathleen Jones' fantabulous fresh blueberry pies. They are easy as heck, light, nothing bad in them.

I put them in a store-bought Graham cracker crust, and topped with canned whipped cream instead of making the cream cheese-whipping cream topping.

So, in a pot, whip together 1 cup water, i packet unflavored gelatin, 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1/2 cup sugar. heat until it turns from cloudy to clear. Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and remove from heat. Do not let it boil. Add four cups fresh blueberries. Stir, put into the pie crust and refrigerate until it's set. It took me longer to type the directions than it took to make two of the pies!

2 comments:

Dad said...

This sound's good, Aaron. Mom said that she would try this one.

The Murray's said...

MMMM! Sounds GREAT! I'll have to try it... :)