Sunday, August 23, 2009

Not much going on

Not a lot has been going on down here. It's apple harvest time, so I've been picking and drying apples from my back tree. The front tree isn't quite ready, and the other three trees were severely pruned, and didn't produce much, if at all.

I've also got more blueberries, and I tried my hand at drying them too. DISASTER!!!!! I had read somewhere that you had to blanch them before drying to remove a natural wax and to open cracks in the skin. So I blanched them, but left them in the hot water too long, so they got all gloppy and stuck together. I tried to dry them anyway. It did not work. Short story is, I had to throw away about three pounds of blueberries. :( And on top of that, I reread the book, and it was the grapes that had to be blanched, not blueberries. How I got that confused, I don't know. So I'll have to try again.

I also need to get out and start picking the blackberries. In fact, I'm going to go out and do that right after I finish this post. I'm thinking apple-blackberry butter, blackberry syrup, and blackberry jelly.

2 comments:

The Knight Family said...

Yum, Aaron, all that sounds super yummy. I have been up to my eyeballs in zucchini and rhubarb. Tomorrow is my bread day, so I will pound out four more loaves of zucchini bread. Luckily Levi & Claire love it! Especially with my strawberry-rhubarb jam! Make me some blackberry syrup please, it sounds de-lish.

Aaron said...

Grate your leftover zucchini, and freeze it in baggies, 1 cup to the baggy. Then you can pull it out and make fresh zucchini bread all winter long. Or you can make zucchini relish. I'll see about the blackberry syrup. I've never made a syrup (on purpose) so it may be a bit hit and miss.